[Next] [Previous] [Top] The Role of Engineering in Building a National Strategy in Science and Technology in Canada
PUBLIC AWARENESS OF SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
- Scientific culture and public awareness of S&T are considerably enriched by considering "engineering" at the same time. Indeed, engineering is about the transformation of science into technology, and about the translation of technology into industry.
- It should be a matter of concern to the Federal Government and all other levels of government to increase, rapidly, the level of public awareness of science, engineering and technology (SET), especially in kindergarten through Grade 12 schooling.
- Programs such as the "Outreach" program sponsored by universities for secondary and high school students and innovators in the schools, supported by the engineering community and aimed at elementary schools across Canada, are exemplary and should be supported. It is at these formative ages that teenagers learn about the technological world surrounding them and about industry that makes the economy turn. It is important that the incoming new generation be made better prepared to enter the highly competitive world that will be their's.
- Much has been said about public awareness of science, but much less about technology and even less about engineering. Now is the time to move adhead and SET the course.
- SET awareness also applies to politicians of all parties who, often, are unaware of the major issues facing Canada in this regard. There is a need at all levels of government for decision-makers or pace-setters to become knowledgeable about the SET issues affecting Canada's well-being and future prosperity and quality of life.
It is incumbent on the Federal Government to provide leadership in public awareness programs relating to science, engineering and technology and, jointly with the provincial governments and the business community, to launch educational initiatives to make Canadians more aware of the spectacular advances of science and technology and the remarkable achievements of engineering in today's society.
The Role of Engineering in Building a National Strategy in Science and Technology in Canada - 15 JAN 97[Next] [Previous] [Top]